Monday, February 23, 2009

Important TV to Cara

There are a couple of television programs that I love to gather with friends and family and settle in and watch. The two most everyone can guess are the Superbowl and The Academy Awards. The Superbowl came later in life but The Academy Awards have been a love since my childhood back when I knew I had the talent to achieve one of those awards and before fears I allowed into my life (too fat) would block me in this achievement. So my family has put up with this obsession with award shows very patiently. (I used to tell Rob all the time I was going to win just so he would be forced to watch.)

There is just a great energy in gathering for these events in my opinion. I have blogged about the Superbowl before on MySpace. I love to make munchies, have a great TV to watch on and invite people over to share these obsessions. Last night we got to share them with Nancy, Mellisa, Christy, Darrah and Anna (a friend). Mom did not have to endure since we did it at my house and she did not feel up to attending. She even had the nerve to tell me today that she didn't even finish last night...sad news...but at least she got to see the opening number which was great fun in my opinion.

I even got supportive phone calls from Flora, a traditional watcher, and Carol who knew what I would be doing. I find that great fun also just to know people know me that well. My kids used to be forced to watch because it was around our anniversary date and so we were always on a family trip and we spent that evening wherever we were watching...which I think helped them develop a love for all kinds of movies but possibly not so much the awards. :( I also knew somewhere Rachel would watch however much she could of them...supporting the cause in her own way. We also have a great tradition of trash talking the stars for their choice of hairstyle, dress, and jewelry as they arrive or announce nominees. I love to sit on the couch and judge from afar knowing I would have made sometimes similar choices and people would have been judging me.

I actually loved this year's awards because they had other award winners announce the nominees and honor them...it was fun to see these other stars express good will and wishes towards this year's batch of nominees. In Kotzebue, I watched with friends and we would make lists of movies we wanted to remember to see the rest of the year through rentals. I am sure I have not seen every movie that I missed but I still watch every year and picture myself up there someday accepting one of these awards. Anyway, thanks for the great time everyone and meet you around the TV next year!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I sure did watch!!! And I missed that I wasn't with you watching. I love you!!!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

At least The Curious Case of Benjamin Button didn't sweep the awards...the part of the opening number Hugh Jackman did that was for that movie...SO much better than the film itself...I totally would have skipped the movie and just watched that instead...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I would also just like to point out...that I have officially commented...and I beat everyone but your own daughter...not that I'm seeking any kind of special attention...I'm just saying ;O) lol