Saturday, February 28, 2009

Early Morning Risers

I am not a natural early morning riser. I understand the accomplishments you can get done by being an early morning riser especially if you go to bed in time to get plenty of sleep but I do not come by it naturally. A little story from my mother recently explains how true this is...even though it is a little embarrassing for me.

We were driving to run errands one day and talking about what we do when and I said how much I enjoyed early mornings because I accomplished so much more than at night. My mom said, "wait, can you repeat that"? I said, "I really like early mornings"! She said, "Oh really...Miss Is there a reason you have to talk to me so much in the morning?" This obviously was a conversation we had had when I was a teenager and I have laughed about it so much because I could not even deny it as it really sounds like something I would have said and know I felt. I did not like talking much in the morning.

However, forces outside of my control have decided that I havechildren that are early morning risers. It has enabled me to learn the joy of early morning...with Erin we got to hear beautiful music in our home as she practiced the piano every morning. It also gives me the opportunity to study my scriptures, write in my journal and let me prepare for the day before everyone else got up. There is quite a peace to mornings.

With everyone mostly grown, however, I was beginning to enjoy lounging around in bed again...a little. Then we adopted Kenneth...he is a true early riser. He wakes up early no matter what time he goes to bed but if and when I take the opportunity to get up early with him (sometimes I remind him about how easy it is to get on the computer) I get to find out a lot about him. This is his time. He chats and tells me about his day, his dreams, pretty much anything I will listen to. He is sweet and helpful and really likes this time together so my goal is to really give in again and learn to appreciate the early morning riser again...just like with Erin. It was nice to find her kindred spirit in our new group of children.

2 comments:

Amazing Bible Timeline said...

Sounds like Erin and Kenneth will have a good time when she's out for her visit.

Mendy said...

I am actually looking forward to next year when I have to get up earlier to get Maia to middle school. I think I've gotten a little lazy in the mornings.