Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall

I love fall. It is my favorite season. The smell is what starts it off. It is a crisp, clean smell in the air. You can smell the harvest in the air. Then you feel it. Again, the crisp air when you first feel the need to wear a sweater or sweatshirt when you go out at night until you want to carry one along all day. The weather when that entices you to snuggle under a blanket when you watch movies at night and have some buttery popcorn to go along with it. It makes me want to gather as a family at home playing games instead out being outside playing in the park because it is just a little too cold for that.

I like that school sports have started and football begins. The school bands march and homecoming excitement is everywhere. Kids are still excited about school and seeing friends again after summer holidays. I like that you can build fires in the fireplaces in the evening and tell stories about the day and just laugh and enjoy each other.

Fall reminds me of the holidays that are about to arrive. I love Halloween. I love the fun of decorating with fall colors and pumpkins, hayrides and hot chocolate. I love buying candy throughout the whole season so kids can sneak a treat. I love helping the kids decide what they want to be for Halloween and then helping them dress up and make up to go out for a night of fun. I love when the kids come to our home and we get to find out what they are dressed up like. I like to scare them a little and see if they will come all the way to the door.

I just love all the sights and sounds of the upcoming holidays...Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love the feeling of excitement from people in the streets and in the stores. People start to act a little nicer to each other and you see a lot of smiling because it is still early enough to have the enthusiasm about Christmas and still far enough away from the stress of last minute rushing. You smell cooking beginning and families and friends getting together to bake treats.

I know soon our families will gather for one holiday or another and that excites me. I am so happy when fall arrives because it is really my season. I know some people will miss the warm weather and sunbathing but I will walk in the mornings and breathe in that clean, brisk, invigorating air and feel my soul come alive again.

No comments: